How to make a request for Secretary of State's records
The Washington State Governor has issued Proclamation 20-28.
- Summary of Proclamation 20-28. This proclamation temporarily prohibits in-person contacts with the public that are required by the Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) (RCW 42.30) and the Public Records Act (PRA) (RCW 42.56), suspending some statutory language that would require such contacts. This proclamation also temporarily suspends the PRA’s requirements for agencies to respond to PRA requests for public records within five business days from receipt, and to maintain business hours for public inspection and copying of records for a minimum of 30 hours per week. It is effective from March 24, 2020 until midnight, April 23, 2020, unless extended beyond that date. Please read the proclamation for details and to see the list of citations to the specific OPMA and PRA statutes or portions of statutes that are temporarily suspended.
- While the proclamation is in effect, we will do our best to provide requestors an initial response within five business days.
The Washington Public Records Act RCW 42.56 requires that records requested are “identifiable.” A general question is not a public disclosure request. The Act also lists certain public records that do not have to be disclosed.
To make a Public Records Disclosure request, you may e-mail, call, write, or fax.
For us to respond as quickly as possible, please be specific about the records you are requesting. We also need information about how to contact you if we have questions and where to send the records.
- Requester’s name, complete mailing address, phone and fax number.
- Date of request.
- The specific nature of the request, including:
- Description of requested records (title, subject, date, policy, etc.)
- Number of copies needed
- If requesting a list of individuals, please complete the RCW 42.56.70(8) Commercial Lists form and mail or fax in a signed copy.
Please note that copying charges may apply. However, you may choose to review the records at no charge at a pre approved appointment before, or instead of, receiving copies. If you prefer to review the records, please note this on your request.
|Photocopy per page
||Cost of Postage to Mail
Public Records Officer
PO BOX 40224
Olympia, WA 98504-0224
Phone: (360) 704-5220
Fax: (360) 704-7834
Email: [email protected]