File for Office
New in 2024
Candidate Filing period begins Monday, May 6 and ends Friday, May 10.
- All single-county Legislative, Superior Court, and Court of Appeals positions now file with the Office of the Secretary of State.
- Online filing begins at 8:00 a.m. on the first Monday in May and continues until 5:00 pm. the following Friday.
- Deadline to withdraw is 5:00 p.m. on the Monday following the final day of the filing period.
- Voters' Pamphlet profile deadline is 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, May 21, 2024.
For questions, please contact us Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at (800) 448-4881 or [email protected].
Online Candidate Filing will open at 8:00 a.m. May 6 and close May 10 at 5:00 p.m.
- Submit your filing before 5 p.m. Friday. No submissions will be accepted after 5:00 p.m.
- Mobile devices are not recommended.
- You must pay the filing fee before the filing office can process your submission.
- Please allow 24-48 hours for candidacy approval. You will receive a confirmation email at the candidate email address.
Requirements to file online
- Be registered to vote in the district for which you are filing.
- Pay with Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- Provide a valid email address.
- Submit by 5 p.m. on Friday.
File in person or by mail
- Complete a paper filing form.
- Pay with cash or check.
- Make checks payable to "Secretary of State."
- Must be received in office by 5 p.m. on Friday.
- Submit a petition in lieu of filing fee.
- Candidates without sufficient assets or income may submit a filing fee petition to pay the filing fee.
- You may not file signature petitions electronically.
- You may not combine petition signatures and currency to satisfy the filing fee.
- Only signatures of registered voters in the same jurisdiction as the office are valid.
- Each petition sheet must:
- No additional signatures are accepted after initial submission at time of filing.
- Petition sheets are not returned to the candidate.
- Printable templates: Filing Fee Petition Template.pdf 2020 Filing Fee Petition Template.docx
- Petitions must include a total number of valid signatures no fewer than the dollar amount of the filing fee.
- No person may sign more than one nominating petition for the same office.
- Without the required number of signatures, the petition is insufficient and your Declaration of Candidacy is invalid.
All candidates are encouraged to file a Declaration of Candidacy online. For help, please contact your filing office.
The Office of the Secretary of State administers the public offices listed below:
- United States Senator
- United States Representative
- Statewide Executive
- State Legislative
- Supreme Court Justice
- Court of Appeals Judge
- Superior Court Judge
Contact your county elections office for all other offices.
Knowingly providing false information on a Declaration of Candidacy is a class C felony as provided by RCW 29A.84.711.
Questions? Call (360) 902-4180 or toll free (800) 448-4881. Assistance is available Monday- Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.