Getting started with Downloading
Books can be downloaded from the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled website called BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Downloads). To start downloading audio books you will need:
- A Digital Talking Book Machine (DTBM), which is provided by WTBBL, or a commercial audio book player (List of accepted commercial players)
- A computer with high-speed internet
- A USB storage device: This device will hold your books and will be plugged into the DTBM to play the books. There are two options that you can purchase.
- Commercial USB device: May be called a thumb drive, flash drive or travel drive. You will want a USB storage device under 16 GB that is free of preinstalled software. We cannot make recommendations on brands that will work because the products available change frequently.
- Digital Talking Book Cartridge: The cartridge is identical those that are sent from the library in the blue cases. They are designed to be used in the DTBM. You will need the cartridge and a USB extension cable to use this method. Vendors that sell blank cartridges.
- BARD - Braille and Audio Reading Downloads: Login information will be your email address and a password you create. To reset your password, contact the library at 1-800-542-0866.
Download Tips and FAQ
- Download Tips: includes tips on searching for books on BARD.
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions: