As of Monday, July 20, 2020, the Washington State Archives branches in Olympia and Ellensburg are open to researchers by appointment only. For more information, please visit our page regarding the closure.
Training Session - Basics of Managing School Records
This session gives all school district, educational service district, and charter school employees a quick overview of how to manage the records (electronic and paper) that they create and receive each day.
- What is a public record?
- How long do records need to be kept?
- What can be destroyed and what goes to the State Archives?
- How can Washington State Archives help your school or district?
- Where can I learn more about managing records?
- Frequently asked questions about the retention and management of school records.
This session also satisfies the records retention portion of Open Government Trainings Act requirements for Elected/Appointed Officials, Public Records Officers, and Records Officers/Managers.
- Any employees of school districts, educational service districts, and charter schools who create or receive records;
- Records Officers/Managers and Public Records Officers new to the field or needing a refresher.
Click on our Training Calendar to find the next session and register online.
Download PowerPoint Slides
Basics of Managing School Records - March 2020 (28 minutes)