Election Administrator Certification
Election Administrator initial certification requirements, WAC 434-260:
- Attend a two day orientation class (Elections 101).
- Pass the Administrator Certification Exam.
- Acquire 40 hours of additional education.
- Up to 10 hours of professional developement as defined by the Auditor.
- Up to 10 hours of election-specific training that is not Washington State specific.
- At least 20 hours of Washington State election-specific training. The 20 hours:
- Must include at least one hour from attending a Washington State Election Conference.
- May include up to four hours of observing election procedures in other counties.
- Two years of continuous service in an elections office during the three-year period immediately prior to the request for initial certification.
- Submit a completed Application for Initial Certification.
To renew certification every two years, a Certified Elections Administrator must serve continuously as an election administrator and accumulate 40 hours of continuing education every two years. These 40 hours are the same as for initial certification. The 40 hours of training may be taken any time during the two year renewal period.
The Secretary of State's open book Certification Exam may be taken and submitted at any time. An 80% score is required to pass.
Certification & Training Tools