Filing an Initiative
Anyone interested in filing an initiative is encouraged to read the "Handbook for Filing Initiatives and Referenda in Washington State".
- Initiative to the People: January 4, 2014 – July 3, 2014
- Initiatives to the 2015 Legislature: March 12, 2014 – January 2, 2015
Requirements for filing an initiative:
- Sponsor must be a registered voter
- Create an online account (to file online)*
- The complete text of the initiative in Word or RTF format
- $5.00 filing fee (Visa or MasterCard accepted)
- A signed Affidavit
*The person whose name is on the account will be listed as the main sponsor. Additional co-sponsors may be added.
When you are ready to file your initiative, click the “Start Here” link.
If you have any questions contact the Office of the Secretary of State, Elections Division.
To file a Referendum contact the Office of the Secretary of State, Elections Division.