The Washington State Library has a free obituary look up service for obituaries in our collection of Washington State newspapers.
Obituary requests are submitted on our Ask-A-Librarian page.
1. Please submit 1 name to research at a time.
Out of fairness to other customers, please submit no more than 5 requests per day.
2. We do not have an obituary index for our newspapers, so you will need to include the following information with your request:
- Name of the person at the time of their death
- Specific Date of death - We need at least the month & the year.
- Location of death in Washington State
- Location of residence in Washington State
If you need assistance in locating those dates and places, check out the links on our Vital Records page, and on the Obituaries page.
We receive a large volume of requests, so it may be up to 8 weeks before we can respond to your obituary request.
If an obituary is found, a scanned copy will be sent to you as an email attachment.