Due to budget cuts and reduced staff, the State Library no longer offers our obituary lookup service to out-of-state customers.
If you are a Washington State Resident, and have a library card with the Washington State Library, you can submit obituary requests for Washington state obituaries using our Obituary Request Form.
Click here to find out how to get a library card, and click here to find out what options are available for out-of-state customers who are looking for Washington State obituaries.
Obituary Request Instructions
1. Please submit 1 name to research at a time.
Out of fairness to other customers, please submit no more than 5 requests per day.
2. We do not have an obituary index for our newspapers, so you will need to include the following information with your request:
- Name of the person at the time of their death
- Specific Date of death - We need at least the month & the year.
- Location of death in Washington State
- Location of residence in Washington State
If you need assistance in locating those dates and places, check out the links on our Vital Records page, and on the Obituaries page.
If an obituary is found, a scanned copy will be sent to you as an email attachment.