All branches of the Washington State Library are currently closed to the public. Questions received via email, chat, and phone will be answered between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Collection items are available through your local library using interlibrary loan. All collection materials currently checked out due July 15, and the blue book drop located near our back door is available for use. For more information, please visit our page regarding the closure.
Washington State Library COVID-19 Resources
Genealogy Research Links
These genealogy research links will, for the most part, have a Washington State or Pacific Northwest focus.
Sites such as Ancestry.com will not be listed under every subject for which they have a collection, but will be listed under the General heading.
Immigration / Migration
To see what land records we have at the State Library, go to our Land Records page.
Maps & Gazetteers
*Click here for information about our print newspaper collection*
- America’s Genealogy Bank (Newsbank) - Search thousands of historical & current newspapers, books, as well as selected material from the American State Papers and U.S. Serial Set, the complete Social Security Death Index and more than 29 million obituaries. Remote access available to library cardholder
- Access World News (Newsbank) - Find global information on topics related to business and economics, education, the environment, health, international issues, jobs and careers, leisure activities, people, politics and government, social issues, sports, STEM, technology and more from a variety of news media featuring newspapers, videos and web-only content. Remote access available to library cardholder
- PROQUEST - Database of journals & newspapers abstracts, with select full-text access. Strengths in business & news coverage. Remote access available to library cardholder
- Chronicling America - Search America's historic newspapers pages from 1836-1922 on the Library of Congress web site. Includes several Washington State newspapers.
- Google News Archive - Listed by newspaper title, includes Washington state titles, such as the Allyn Times, Arlington Times, (Palouse) Boomerang, Brewster Herald Reporter, Chehalis Bee Nugget, Cheney Free Press, Deer Park Tribune, Deer Park Union, Eatonville Dispatch, Edmonds Beacon, Ellensburg Daily Record, Ellensburg Dawn, Ellensburg Evening Localizer, Garfield Enterprise, Hartline News & Standard, Kettle River Journal, Marysville Globe, Moscow Pullman Daily News, Mukilteo Beacon, Montesano Vidette, Oroville Gazette, Othello Outlook, Quad City Herald, Ritzville Adams County Journal, Ritzville Journal Times, Shelton Mason County Journal, Spokane Daily Chronicle, Spokesman Review, Tri City Herald, Wahkiakum County Eagle, West Seattle Herald, Woodinville Weekly.
- New York State Historical Newspapers
- Online Historical Newspapers - A work in progress list of all of the old newspapers available online, for the U.S. and other countries as well.
- Papers Past - New Zealand newspapers from their National Library.
- SmallTownPapers - Archives of over 250 small town papers, including over 20 from Washington State.
- Washington State News (Newsbank) - Explore and research people, events and issues across Washington State. This resource contains news sources from across the state including: the Bellingham Herald, Chinook Observer, Chronicle, Columbian, Daily Herald, Daily News, Daily Record, Daily World, Kitsap Sun, News Tribune, The Olympian, Seattle Times, Spokesman-Review, Tri-City Herald, Yakima Herald-Republic and more. Remote access available to library cardholders.
- Seattle Times Collection (Newsbank) - Search more than 30 years of Seattle area history with The Seattle Times Integrated Collection. With coverage from 1985 – current, the Collection contains full-color newspaper pages, individual full-text articles and content only published online. Remote access available to library cardholders.
- Spokesman-Review (Spokane) - Access to digital microfilm of Spokesman-Review issues between 2010-2016 is available with a Washington State Library card.
- Trove - Austalian newspapers from their National Library.
- University of British Columbia Historical Newspapers
- Washington State Library - Washington Digital Newspapers - many from late 1800s - early 1900s to search by name of keyword.
- Washington State Library - Historic Newspapers in Washington - Many of the earliest, pre-1900, Washington state newspapers are available to search by name or subject.
*For information on what vital records are available in Washington State, go to our Vital Records page*
Washington Cities & Counties
Washington State Yearbooks Online