Events at the Washington State Library
No events planned at this time
Previous Events, Programs and Speakers*
NEW FEATURE: Click on the image to view our events as streaming media online!
Many Washington State Library events have been filmed, starting in Season Three (2004-2005), and are available on DVD from the State Library. Titles are linked to the DVD entry in the catalog.
All DVD's are available to check out. If you are not able to check them out in person, you may request an item be sent to you through your local library. These interlibrary loan requests must be initiated at your local library.
List of Former Speakers
2002-2003 - The Inaugural Season
2003-2004 Season 2
2004-2005 Season 3
2005-2006 Season 4
2006-2007 Season 5
2007-2008 Season 6
2008-2009 Season 7
2009-2010 Season 8
2010-2011 Season 9
2013-2014 Season 10
*Note: The Washington State Library no longer administers or hosts the Governor's Writers Day Awards. The awards, rebranded as the Washington State Book Awards, are now administered by the Washington Center for the Book at Seattle Public Library. You may view recipients from 2001 to present-day or review submission guidelines and access the entry form for the current award season via the Washington Center for the Book resource page.
The history of the Governor's Writers Day Awards and a list of the recipients from 1966 - 2000 can be accessed here.
2013-2014 Season 10:
- 04/25/2013: Jack Field and Rick Nelson, Washington Cattlemen's Association: Raising Livestock in Washington & the State Wolf Management Plan
- 04/18/2013: Peter Reid and Barbara Seal Ogle, Washington State Parks Foundation: Schafer State Park
- 03/21/2013: Linda Saunders, Wolf Haven International: The Wolves of Washington
- 03/14/2013: Lorna and Darrell Smith, Western Wildlife Outreach: The Way of the Wolf: The Return of the Gray Wolf to Washington State
- 03/07/2013: Cindy Irwin and Diane Gallegos, Wolf Haven International: The Wolves of Washington
2010-2011 Season 9:
2009-2010 Season 8:
- 02/10/2010: Chandler O'Leary and Jessica Spring: Pressing Matters: The Feminist Broadside Series.
- 01/30/2010: The Ruddell Riddle
- 11/12/2009: Richard LeMieux. Breakfast At Sally's: One Homeless Man's Inspirational Journey.
- 10/22/2009: Carla Rickerson. The Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition.
- 10/15/2009: Laura Daugereau. First Washington Woman in the Iditarod.
2008-2009 Season 7:
2007-2008 Season 6:
2006-2007 Season 5:
2005-2006 Season 4:
2004-2005 Season 3:
2003-2004 Season 2:
- 06/03/04: Carl Allen. Roll on Columbia: Woody Guthrie and the Columbia River Songs.
- 05/07/04: The Tweney '89: Pacific Northwest History Conference presentation in Olympia. By Marlys Rudeen and Kathryn Hamilton Wang. Friday, May 7.
- 05/04/04: Roger Wendlick. Remembering the Lewis & Clark Expedition: One Man’s Effort to Preserve the Historic Journey. Sponsored in part by: Wessel and Lieberman Booksellers Inc. of Seattle.
- 04/22/04: Judith Upton. On the Cutting Room Floor: The Untold Stories of Gate, Washington. (A Brown Bag Event)
- 04/15/04: Chief Justice Gerry Alexander. Frontier Justice in Washington Territory and the John R. Jackson House.
- 03/25/04: Roger B. Fernandes. Star Babies and Whistling Grandmothers: Mythic Stories of the Puget Salish Tribes. (An Inquiring Mind Speaker)
- 03/11/04: Renee Bowen Corcoran. A Pioneer Woman: North of the Columbia, 1846. (A Brown Bag Event)
- 02/18/04: Marlys Rudeen and Andrea Watts. Washington State Historical Documents. (A Brown Bag Event)
- 01/29/04: Gary Lentz. Journals, Pens & Ink: A Personal Journey with Lewis and Clark.
- 12/04/03: William Woodward. Wars in Early Washington: The Ironies of Human Conflict. (An Inquiring Mind Speaker)
- 10/23/03: Vivian and Phil Williams. Fiddling Down the Oregon Trail. (An Inquiring Mind Speaker)
2002-2003 - The Inaugural Season:
- 08/28/03: Thank you Reception. Ice-Cream Social. Held Thursday, August 28, 2003.
- 05/29/03: Jack Nisbet. Down the Columbia River with David Thompson. (An Inquiring Mind Speaker)
- 04/24/03: Dr. Weldon Rau. Book signing. Pioneering the Washington Territory.
- 04/11/03: WLA presentation in Yakima by Steve Willis, Marlys Rudeen, and Kathryn Hamilton Wang.
- 03/25/03: Denny Heck. Book signing. The Enemy You Know.
- 03/02/03: Sesquicentennial Celebration. At the Temple of Justice,
- 02/25/03: Barry Herem. Slide show. Arts of the Raven Coast. (Inquiring Mind Speaker)
- 01/28/03: George Scott. Book signing. Majority of One.
- 01/13/03: Flora and Fauna of the Lewis and Clark Expedition: A Woodcarving Exhibit January 13-17, 2003 in the WSL lobby.
- 11/14/02: Robert Ficken. Book signing. Washington Territory.
Previous Authors, Speakers & Presenters:
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
Chief Justice Gerry Alexander
Nancy Bell Anderson
Renee Bowne Corcoran
Raymond J. Egan
Roger B. Fernandes
Mary Matsuda Gruenewald
Barbara Seal Ogle
Susan Noyes Platt
Dr. Weldon Rau
Dr. A.G. “Doc” Wesselius
Vivian and Phil Williams
View past events online:
Online Genealogy Resources handout from the presentation at Puyallup Library on Dec. 11, 2012.
Genealogy Resource handout from the Crosby Genealogy Event in Spokane on March 5, 2011.
Check out the books from our Genealogy Collection that we displayed at the Washington State Genealogical Society Annual Conference on September 18, 2010.
Ruddell Riddle - January 30, 2010.
Kim Smeenk, Public Services Librarian from the State Library, presented a session on Finding Families: an introduction to Genealogy. You can view her session, as well as all of the others presented at this all day event, at this web site. www.sos.wa.gov/legacy/Ruddell.aspx
Washington Genealogy Online Webinar - January 12, 2010.
As part of the Ref-22 series, Kim Smeenk, Public Services Librarian at the Washington State Library, presented a webinar covering great tools and techniques to help you answer genealogy questions using online resources. Kim focused on the resources available to people doing Washington State genealogical research.
Tracking Kurt Cobain through Washington Vital Records - October 28, 2008.
Using Kurt Cobain's family as an example, Kathryn Devine & Kim Smeenk, Public Service Librarians at the Washington State Library, will take you through what vital records are available in Washington state, and how you can access and use them in your genealogical research.