The Washington State Library (WSL), with funding from the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), is providing three full scholarships to attend the 2017 Association of Rural and Small Libraries (ARSL) Conference from September 6–9, 2017 in St. George, Utah.
The ARSL conference is specifically for rural library staff. Previous conference topics have included building community advocacy; effective trustee recruitment; inexpensive programming ideas; innovative web services with few resources; virtual networking; and many more.
Scholarships will include transportation, all conference fees, and lodging. Preference will be given to applicants who have not won this scholarship before.
- Applicants must be from a public or tribal library or library branch serving a population of 10,000 or less in Washington State.
- Scholarship awardees must commit to doing a follow-up project.
To apply, please complete the ARSL Scholarship Application . The deadline for applications, both the paper copy and the digital copy is June 23, 2017. Paper copies must be hand-delivered or postmarked by June 23, 2017.
Please mail the paper copy to
ARSL Scholarship grants
Washington State Library
PO Box 42460
Olympia, WA 98504-2460
Send a digital copy of your application in Word or RTF to WSLgrants@sos.wa.gov by June 23, 2017.
Scholarship Process and Requirements
- WSL will make travel arrangements and complete registration for the awardees.
- Awardees will attend a scholarship get-together during the conference. We will share conference experiences and insights, and discuss ideas that can be implemented in our respective libraries.
- Scholarship winners should identify a project inspired by the conference to accomplish in their own library and carry out that project within six months' time.
- Each scholarship winner commits to share their project results/outcomes with Washington’s library community. Options include a visual report that WSL can share, a conference presentation, a journal article (e.g., ALKI article), or presenting a First Tuesdays online seminar.
- Each scholarship winner must also write a 1-2 page project report
We encourage your feedback. If you have comments or suggestions, please use our feedback form
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).