Washington Electronic Library (WELL)
The Washington State Library requests feedback from the information community
A budget decision package will be sent to the 2005 Washington State Legislature requesting funds for commercial information resources (such as those currently provided through the Statewide Database Licensing project) and for development of an information portal to link these and other resources. Other support will come from expanding existing programs and services currently funded through both state and federal (LSTA) money.
WELL (the Washington ELectronic Library), a vision of the Washington State Library, will respond directly to the current and future information needs of people throughout Washington. WELL will provide:
- Quality web resources
- Millions of full-text magazine and newspaper articles
- A statewide library catalog
- Government and consumer data
- A one-stop search, a browsable portal.
The WELL portal will include a variety of online resources including:
WELL addresses statewide concerns:
- Provides selected, authoritative, trustworthy information for all Washingtonians
- Reduces local library costs for commercial database access through aggregated purchasing
- Releases LSTA money for other purposes
- Lessens the state worker burden on Timberland, TESC, St. Martin’s, UW, and other libraries
- Consolidates various digital information projects
- Provides service to currently underserved groups including state and legislative employees, K-12 schools, home schoolers, tribal libraries, small and rural libraries, and those without library services.
All but a handful of states have information services similar to what is being proposed for WELL. Other state information portals that have a similarly inspired vision include:
WSL welcomes your comments as we work together to envision a brighter information future for all the people of Washington.
"Combining the power of libraries, government and technology to provide information to the people of Washington whenever and wherever they need it."
|For more information or to relay your comments:
E-mail: WELL@sos.wa.gov or call 866.538.4996 toll free in WA
We encourage your feedback. If you have comments or suggestions, please use our feedback form
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).