Church of Christ

A Brief History of the Church of Christ

This information is provided courtesy of Don Fitzsimmons, of the Church of Christ in Pomeroy.

Church of Christ in Pomeroy

Early 1870s the Jacob P. Hastings family arrived in what is now Garfield County.  Mr. Hastings was a circuit rider for the Christian (Campbellite) Church. He apparently never held a settled pastorate. However, he did preach at Peola (in conjunction with other ministers) after the Christian Church was established in 1879.  Mr. Hastings was one of the signers of the Articles of Incorporation of the Pomeroy Christian Church and was one of the moving forces in getting the Church established in Pomeroy. While he apparently did not organize the Church formally, he did fill the pulpit in Pomeroy, but never on the basis of a resident pastor.

The Church organization became a reality because of the preaching of Mr. Wolverton, a Christian minister serving as principal of the Public Schools in Dayton, Washington.  He preached for one week in the fall of 1886. In that same year, Mr. J. B. Daidley, held a short revival meeting and helped organize the congregation. 

The Articles of Incorporation were filed January 6, 1887.  Thus, through the efforts of these three, and other dedicated men and women, the Christian Church had its beginning in Pomeroy. This newly organized congregation consisted of 25 members.

The newly organized group set forth to enlarge their numbers through the means of a Bible School.  The first meeting place of the Sunday school was in the Jay Lynch Store which was located at what is now Main and 15th Streets. For a time the congregation met in the Methodist church at 5th and High Streets.  The next known move was to the wooden Courthouse.

There are debates when the first church building was erected. Some maintain the building was erected in 1889 and completed the same year. However, the Dickson family did not deed the property where the church now meets until 1891.  It does not seem reasonable that the congregation would erect a building upon property they did not own unless the Dickson family gave them permission to do so.