Newspapers at the Washington State Library
Washington State Library's newspaper collection includes current issues on paper and historic newspapers on microfilm with some searchable online. We subscribe to about 125 daily and weekly newspapers throughout Washington, plus a few out-of-state papers. The microfilm collection consists of over 40,000 reels of newspapers dating from the 1850s to the present.
Search Newspaper Titles in our Catalog (paper, microfilm, links to digital)
- Search our online catalog to find out which papers we have and for what years.
- You can limit your search to the Washington Newspapers collection, which allows you to search by City, County, Title, Subject, or Keywords.
- Choosing the Washington Newspapers collection also provides access to an interactive map of our state that allows you to pick a county and see a list of all the papers we have for that county.
Find out more about our microfilm collection, including how to access it and where to purchase film yourself, by clicking here.
Historic Washington Newspapers Online from the State Library
- Washington Digital Newspapers - Brings together titles from the Historic Newspapers in Washington collection with those that the State Library digitized as part of the National Digital Newspaper Program for inclusion in Chronicling America. This portal will eventually provide full text search access to the entire Historic Newspapers in Washington collection, with new historical WA newspaper titles added each year.
- Historic Newspapers in Washington - Washington State Library created an online collection of indexed newspapers beginning in 1852, which covers Washington's territorial and early statehood periods. These digitized pages from our microfilm collection have been indexed and are keyword searchable thanks to the efforts of volunteers.
- Chronicling America - With a grant from the National Endowment for Humanaties, the Washington State Library is participating in the National Digital Newspaper Program; an effort to digitize early (pre 1923) issues from newspapers around the United States.Currently Washington has contributed 23 newspapers from our large microfilm collection and continues to add more. These isues are full-text searchable and downloadable free online at the Library of Congress - chroniclingamerica.loc.gov.
*Click here to see links to more historical newspapers online*
Washington Newspaper Databases and Indexes
Pacific Northwest Newspaper Collections and Indexes
- University of Washington – Pacific Northwest Regional Newspapers and Periodical Index - University of Washington Libraries’ Pacific Northwest Regional Newspaper and Periodical Index (Regional Index) is an electronic database containing citations from newspaper and periodical articles dealing with the Pacific Northwest. The Regional Index online contains citations for articles dealing with the Pacific Northwest published since January 1, 1997, in the Seattle Weekly, Seattle Post-Intelligencer and The Daily of the University of Washington.
- Washington State University - Pacific Northwest Newspaper Clippings Collection - Washington State University’s Pacific Northwest Newspaper Clippings Collection is a collection of articles taken from newspapers published in the Pacific Northwest from about 1900 to about 1942. A selected set of approximately 10,000 images from the Pacific Northwest Newspaper Clippings Collection has been digitized and described in metadata for this online collection.
- Oregon State Library – Oregon Index - The web-accessible Oregon Index is a selective index to Oregon newspapers and to Oregon items in other select publications. The index is a voluntary operation, maintained by indexers at the Oregon State Library and other libraries across Oregon. The Oregon Index database is divided into two files, a current file covering 1995 through current date and a backfile covering 1985-1994.