Leading Without Authority
Years ago, if you were in a position of authority, you could just announce what needed to be done and assume it would be carried out. But times have changed. Now, as organizations have expanded and have become increasingly more complex, no matter what the formal hierarchies are, people must work with each other across reporting lines. It doesn’t work to say, “Do it because I told you so.” Leading from any position requires higher evolutionary leadership and influencing skills. In this training, participants will learn leadership concepts and frameworks, including emotional intelligence; effective communication, leading teams, and motivating others. Participants will have the opportunity to practice skills and develop action/ development learning plans.
Training objectives. Participants will:
- Be able to articulate the differences between management and leadership
- Compare and contrast leading with and without authority
- Identify critical people skills needed
- Describe emotional intelligence and understand their own personality type
- List the essential elements of communication skills
- Articulate the differences in leading, communicating with, and motivating diverse work groups, i.e., cultural, race, gender, age
- Describe how to lead various teams and team members
- Articulate various recognition programs and the use of cognitive strategies
Presented by Cyndi Schaeffer, King County Employee Training
Light refreshments and lunch will be provided for all attendees.
LUNCH IS PROVIDED BY WSL AND IS SCHEDULED FOR 30 MINUTES. Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).
WSL provides information about outside training events for your convenience only; please contact the event sponsor for the most up-to-date information and all questions about the event.
All Sessions for "Leading Without Authority"
|11/5/2014||9:00 AM to 3:30 PM |
|King County Library System Service Center, Issaquah||$0||Library Community|
|11/10/2014||9:00 AM to 3:30 PM |
|Spokane County -- Moran Prairie Branch, Spokane||$0||Library Community|