DB Trials 2010: Discovery Education
These trials expired April 30, 2010.
All access and pricing information has been removed.For more information use the sidebar to find current statewide database trials or to contact the trials manager.
View a complete product description, pricing, and vendor answers below:
1. Describe the database product(s). If you want us to link to more than one product, provide a unique description for each product. If there are special hardware or software requirements, please make sure you include them in the description.
Part of the Discovery Channel, Discovery Education's multiple award-winning full-service curriculum solution is proven to increase retention of key concepts and thus improve student achievement. Our flagship DE Streaming service is utilized in over 60% of US schools. We have over 90,000 content-specific clips in our comprehensive K-12 media library, all tied directly to state standards.
Discovery Education Streaming Plus is a comprehensive K-12 library of digital resources that enables seamless integration of standards-based videos into classroom lessons.
View our recent rating & testimonial!--> http://blog.discoveryeducation.com/files/2009/07/mmischoolscom_-discovery-education-streaming-plus.pdf
2. Is remote access included in the subscription price? If there are additional charges or requirements in order to offer remote access, please describe them. What methods of remote access are supported? If applicable, please discuss any methods or assistance you offer regarding remote access patron verification and authentication.
Locally Host Content With a Fully Loaded DE Server
The DE Server is a Dell PowerEdge Server that comes fully loaded with the full digital library in either high or standard resolution. With a 3 year warranty, the server is flexible in it's capacity and media types. We offer servers with up to 14TB of memory in Windows Media & Quicktime.
Link to Flyer --> http://static.discoveryeducation.com/de/docs/products/MediaServers/DiscoveryMediaServer_email.pdf
Locally Host Content With Your Own Server
The Local Host Solution lets schools access Discovery Education streaming content directly from their local server rather than from the Internet.
Link to Flyer --> http://static.discoveryeducation.com/de/docs/localHost.pdf
Advantages of Locally Hosted Content
- Use your LAN/WAN to deliver video content rather than the Internet.
- Content server is kept up to date when new videos are released by the Discovery Education streaming Network Manager software. New videos are transferred via an overnight process.
- Discovery Education streaming is hardware neutral and works with a variety of servers, including the Discovery Media Server.
3. What customer training is provided, and at what cost? Please include "freebies" such as Web-based tutorials, end-user documentation tents, cheat-sheets, etc.
We highly recommend incorporating Professional Development of Discovery Education for your teachers. This is the best way to maximize your investment by allowing your teachers to tap into the best that Discovery Education has to offer in engaging their students in the classroom. Consider PD the best way to maximize your investment in Discovery Education, as our PD is completely customized to your user's needs & available media resources.
Online Professional Development Web-Based Seminars (Webinar)
Three consecutive hours of customized professional development. These online sessions that are dedicated exclusively to your staff and can be scheduled at times that are convenient for you.
Onsite Professional Development (facilitator, administration, and teacher training)
Bring in a Discovery Education certified trainer to cover the basics of setup, provide a thorough overview of the service, discuss integration strategies, and highlight resources within the service for ongoing professional development.
Price: Starting at $2,500 for six-hour day
Day of Discovery
Host a team from Discovery Education at your site for a conference-style day of intensive professional development customized for your staff. Includes: a Keynote Address, three Breakout Sessions, and a Closing Session focused on ongoing support through the Discovery Educator Network
Price: $8,500 for event hosting up to 100 educators
You can access complimentary PD training materials from the following resources accessible through the MY DE homepage:
1) Getting Started: covers the basics of using, with videos and training materials http://discoveryeducation.com/gettingstarted/
2) Professional Development (next to Teacher's Center): contains information regarding integration strategies, lesson planning, integrating DE with technology (i.e. projectors), etc.
3) Discovery Educator Network (Become a STAR Educator & enjoy the perks!): Join the global community of over 100,000 teachers we bring together online & person, who learn, share, and collaborate the best uses of media & technology in the classroom.
4) Ongoing PD Resource---> Webinars: (on right column of the MY DE homepage) Please recommend your teachers sign up for the webinars!! They are ongoing and vary in topic from basics to classroom lesson integration strategies.
4. What customer and technical support is provided, including hours of operation? In your reply, please include contact names (if applicable) or name of department, the phone numbers and e-mail addresses for your support services. If you have toll-free access to these support centers, please make sure they are available here.
DISCOVERY EDUCATION Customer Service & Technical Support
Toll Free 1-800-323-9084
MON - THURS: 8-7 EST
FRI: 8-6:30 EST
5. Please describe the statistics you provide, and discuss whether your statistical reporting complies in part or in whole with the guidelines developed by the International Coalition of Library Consortia found at http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/webstats06.htm or the COUNTER Code of Practice found at http://www.projectcounter.org/code_practice.html.
Administrators can view snapshots of their account or site and access links to other popular reports. Once administrators log into the DE Admin site, the dashboard will display the weekly usage of the account or site with direct links to the Top Videos and Account Usage reports. To access other reports, click on My Reports Home within the left navigation bar.
The usage reports allow administrators to run usage by account, site, and user.
Multi-Account and Account Administrators have access to run all three reports while Site Administrators have access to only the site and user reports.
The usage reports will provide information regarding logins, the number of videos stream and downloaded, and the number of resources viewed on an account, site, or user level.
The usage report by account reports the total usage by account. Multi-Account Administrators have the ability to select multiple accounts for the usage report by account. The usage report by site reports the total usage of each site within the selected account. The usage report by user reports the total usage of each individual user by site within the selected account.
The usage report results will list the account and/or site(s) with the total number of logins, total number of videos and segments streamed and downloaded, total number of videos streamed and/or downloaded from local hosts or network manager, and the total number of times specific non-video assets were viewed.
7. Please provide the name and contact information (toll-free telephone number, e-mail address, hours, etc.) for libraries to make further inquires. (Sales representatives for our area are preferred.)
p: (310) 843-6125
c: (323) 203-8076
We encourage your feedback. If you have comments or suggestions, please use our feedback form
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).