DB Trials 2009: WOIS
1. Describe the database product(s). If you want us to link to more than one product, provide a unique description for each product. If there are special hardware or software requirements, please make sure you include them in the description.
WOIS/The Career Information System provides comprehensive, annually updated career and educational planning information to schools, colleges, agencies, vocational providers, and libraries in Washington State. The WOIS information is easily accessed via the Internet, and provides detailed information about more than 520 occupations, almost all the postsecondary training programs, and more than 340 postsecondary schools in Washington State. Beginning in September 2009, WOIS will also provide information on national schools. Besides the in-depth career and educational planning information provided by WOIS, the system also links to job openings, WorkForce Explorer, WorkSource, Washington State Department of Licensing information, Apprenticeship Information, and much more. This allows the citizens of Washington State to make informed career and educational decisions.
2. Is remote access included in the subscription price? If there are additional charges or requirements in order to offer remote access, please describe them. What methods of remote access are supported? If applicable, please discuss any methods or assistance you offer regarding remote access patron verification and authentication.
Remote access is included in the subscription price. However, it is only available via patron contact with the library. Library staff can provide printed materials with the WOIS site key for the library, and these printed materials may be handed out to patrons who come into the library. Libraries may also put a note on their website with a telephone number to call if someone wants to access WOIS from home. We do not allow remote library card access.
3. What customer training is provided, and at what cost? Please include "freebies" such as Web-based tutorials, end-user documentation tents, cheat-sheets, etc.
WOIS is currently developing on-line tutorials, and they will be available on the WOIS website no later than September 1, 2009. The site also provides worksheets and activities for staff and patron use. WOIS provides free training to library staff.
4. What customer and technical support is provided, including hours of operation? In your reply, please include contact names (if applicable) or name of department, the phone numbers and e-mail addresses for your support services. If you have toll-free access to these support centers, please make sure they are available here.
Customer and technical support is provided from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday at 1-800-700-WOIS or firstname.lastname@example.org. Most of our staff provide technical assistance, so calling the number or sending email usually connects directly with someone who can provide assistance, or direct a person to an available WOIS staff member for assistance.
5. Please describe the statistics you provide, and discuss whether your statistical reporting complies in part or in whole with the guidelines developed by the International Coalition of Library Consortia found at http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/webstats06.htm or the COUNTER Code of Practice found at http://www.projectcounter.org/code_practice.html.
Our website logs requests for individual pages (“page views”) by WOIS site. Records are maintained for current and previous fiscal years. User sites can view these statistics from the Usage Reports page of the Support section of the site. Data is grouped based on product or area of the website – Occupations, Schools, individual assessments, etc. In addition, we can also create statistical groups so sites can view usage for all the sites in their group.
6. Describe your pricing structure or formula for the product. (I.e. we want to know what your prices are and how they are calculated: Based on FTEs? On buildings? On a combination, or on something else?)
7. Please provide the name and contact information (toll-free telephone number, e-mail address, hours, etc.) for libraries to make further inquires. (Sales representatives for our area are preferred.)
Libraries may contact Tami Palmer at 1-800-700-WOIS (9647) or email@example.com.
The WOIS address is 1415 Harrison Avenue NW, Suite 201, Olympia, WA 98506.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
We encourage your feedback. If you have comments or suggestions, please use our feedback form
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).