DB Trials 2009: LearningExpress Library
1. Describe the database product(s). If you want us to link to more than one product, provide a unique description for each product. If there are special hardware or software requirements, please make sure you include them in the description.
In today’s global economy and the emphasis on 21st Century Skills, LearningExpress LibraryTM helps patrons of all ages prepare for success in life by meeting a broad range of educational and career-oriented needs through interactive tutorials and authentic practice tests, including:
- Improving workplace skills such as resume-writing, interviewing, job search and assessment, business communications and computer skills in core office applications
- Preparing for certification and license exams and aptitude tests for careers in allied healthcare, education, civil service, law enforcement, EMS, military, among others
- Mastering popular computer programs such as Microsoft Office required by many employers
- Improving proficiency levels in math, reading, and writing for elementary, middle, and high school students as well as adult learners
- Improving writing skills critical for success in school, college and in careers
- Achieving higher scores on college admissions tests such as the SAT and ACT and improving performance on Advanced Placement exams
- Preparing for graduate school admissions tests such as the GMAT, LSAT, and GRE
- Preparing for high-stakes examinations of broad interest such as the GED, TOEFL iBT, and U.S. citizenship
2. Is remote access included in the subscription price? If there are additional charges or requirements in order to offer remote access, please describe them. What methods of remote access are supported? If applicable, please discuss any methods or assistance you offer regarding remote access patron verification and authentication.
Yes, Remote Access is included in the subscription price. Referring URL: The remote user is first validated by the individual library’s Patron Authentication scheme. The remote user then accesses our resources via a link on the library’s website and is subsequently validated as an authorized user.
Codabar or library card number: LearningExpress also employs a system whereby a user is validated based upon his or her library card number, providing direct access to our resources. At setup, the library provides us with a library card number scheme and range, which is then used to validate access by a library patron.
Patrons located within a library can be validated and provided access to the database via a preregistered IP address provided by the library during account setup.
3. What customer training is provided, and at what cost? Please include "freebies" such as Web-based tutorials, end-user documentation tents, cheat-sheets, etc.
All accounts receive product training from one of our LearningExpress training specialists. Training involves a demonstration of the site’s functionality and features, as well as an education on how best to utilize the platform. Training appointments take approximately 60 minutes and are conducted remotely via WebEx, an online conferencing tool. The cost for the online training is included in the annual subscription fee. Accounts may request on-site training for an additional fee.
4. What customer and technical support is provided, including hours of operation? In your reply, please include contact names (if applicable) or name of department, the phone numbers and e-mail addresses for your support services. If you have toll-free access to these support centers, please make sure they are available here.
Unlimited technical support is complimentary and is provided by LearningExpress Customer Service. Customers can contact Customer Service live via phone at 1-800-295-9556 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. LearningExpress customer service representatives are available live Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. EST.
The turnaround time for most service and support requests is typically same-day. However, it may take longer depending on the complexity of the request. Weblogs of support requests can also be provided.
Technical support documentation is provided online in five formats: (1) user’s guides available for viewing and printing; (2) Flash demos on our homepage; (3) registration help pages; (4) user instructions pages; and (5) frequently asked questions pages for students, teachers, and administrators. In addition, specific instructions are provided with each course, practice exercise, and test.
System upgrades and technical support are included for the entire length of the contract.
5. Please describe the statistics you provide, and discuss whether your statistical reporting complies in part or in whole with the guidelines developed by the International Coalition of Library Consortia found at http://www.library.yale.edu/consortia/webstats06.htm or the COUNTER Code of Practice found at http://www.projectcounter.org/code_practice.html.
LearningExpress Library provides web-based usage reports that measures page views, session’s tests and courses. These reports are accessible at any time at www.learningexpresslibrary.com/reports. We can also provide more detailed reports on a monthly basis or at the customers’ request.
6. Describe your pricing structure or formula for the product. (I.e. we want to know what your prices are and how they are calculated: Based on FTEs? On buildings? On a combination, or on something else?)
7. Please provide the name and contact information (toll-free telephone number, e-mail address, hours, etc.) for libraries to make further inquires. (Sales representatives for our area are preferred.)
We encourage your feedback. If you have comments or suggestions, please use our feedback form
Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).