A Brief History of the First Presbyterian Church of Walla Walla
Information is provided by Almeda C. (Mandy) Church, historian of the First Presbyterian Church of Walla Walla, WA.
The First Presbyterian Church was formed in February 1907 with the merger of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the First Presbyterian Church. On January 5, 1873, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church formed. The First Presbyterian Church formed nearly a century before in August 1877.
With the merger of the two churches, plans were made to build a larger church. The first service held in the new building was in November 1913. The First Presbyterian Church was not dedicated until February of 1915 after the installation of the Skinner Pipe Organ. This organ is still used every Sunday and is one of two Skinner Pipe Organs remaining in original installation sites of the West Coast.
On Sunday January 4, 2003 the First Presbyterian Church of Walla Walla celebrated its 130th anniversary. On November 19, 2003, the Church will celebrate 90 years of worship services in the same building.