Accessible Ballot Drop Box Guidelines
These guidelines are effective October 1, 2008 for the purpose of receiving a grant under the Accessibility Grant Program
- Walkway or path of travel to the drop box must be ADA Accessible.
- The path of travel must be safe and clear of obstacles.
- The drop boxes should be easily accessible via public transportation routes unless an exception is requested.
- The area surrounding the drop box must accommodate a five foot safe turning radius for chair users.
- The drop box should be usable without manually opening.
- Opening should be no higher than 48 inches and no lower than 15 inches from the ground.
- Ballot drop box should not have pointed or sharp edges.
- Any written information on the drop box should be no less than 3 inches with non-glare finish. Characters and symbols should contrast with their background -- either light characters on a dark background or dark characters on a light background.
- Placement of the drop box should be done in consultation with the local Disability Accessible Committee.
For more detailed information on ADA regulations visit http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/